Liposuction is a surgical procedure intended to remove fat deposits and shape the body. Fat is removed from under the skin with the use of a vacuum-suction cannula (a hollow pen-like instrument) or using an ultrasonic probe that emulsifies (breaks up into small pieces) the fat and then removes it with suction.
Persons with localized fat may decide to have liposuction to remove fat from that area. Liposuction is a procedure for shaping the body and is not recommended for weight loss.
Liposuction may be performed on the abdomen, hips, thighs, calves, arms, buttocks, back, neck, or face. A liposuction procedure may include more than one site, for instance, the abdomen, back, and thighs all on the same day.
Liposuction is also used to reduce breast size in men with large breasts (gynecomastia) or to remove fat tumors (lipomas) but it is most commonly used for cosmetic body shaping.
Because liposuction is a surgical procedure, it is important that it be performed in a clean environment. Emergencies may arise during any surgery and access to emergency medical equipment and/or a nearby hospital emergency room is important.
Types of Liposuction
There are currently four different types of liposuction procedures you can get: tumescent liposuction, the super-wet technique, ultrasound-assisted liposuction, and laser-assisted liposuction.
- The super-wet liposuction technique injects small volumes of fluid into the body. This fluid contains a numbing agent, a blood vessel contractor, and a salt solution. The surgeon then sucks out the fat using the fluid’s ingredients for a quicker and relatively pain-free procedure.
- Tumescent liposuction or power-assisted (PAL) is almost the same as super-wet liposuction. The difference is that the super-wet technique uses less fluid than tumescent liposuction. This type of liposuction is the most common, but it also takes more time.
- Laser-assisted liposuction liquefies fat cells using lasers. The surgeon vacuums out the cells or the liquid drains through a series of tubes. This type of liposuction works best for acute areas like the face, chin, or neck.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction liquefies fat in the same way as laser-assisted, but it does so with ultrasonic vibrations instead of lasers. It’s perfect for adults who want to lose a bit of stubborn fat fast and can be used on all areas of the body such as the stomach, thighs, love handles, and neck. It’s also a great route to take when treating gynecomastia (a feminine male chest), and safely collecting the good fats without damaging them when transferring fat to the buttocks or breasts.
Price and Cost of Liposuction
The cost of liposuction will vary based on;
- the technique used (tumescent, laser etc)
- the areas covered (whole body, small area)
- whether it is a day procedure or an overnight stay.