Reducing Risks – Shared Responsibility
No surgeon or hospital anywhere in the world can ever guarantee absolutely no problems and complications, but GG does work with all our clients to reduce the risks as much as possible. At GG, we have a policy of “Shared Responsibility” – we work with you to lower your risks of surgery and recover as fast as possible.
As we guide you, we also ask for your help to help yourself with your recovery. If you travel with us for surgery, and take the following advice, your risks will be minimized and you should be very happy with your results:
- Pre-surgery surgeon consultation – please ensure that you ask all the questions you need to about your surgery and are clear about the answers. If you need more clarification, or explanation, please ask. If you are unsure of any procedure, please do not agree to go ahead with your surgery. You will most likely be very nervous, so it is a good idea to write down your questions before hand, this way you do not forget to ask any questions. The pre-consultation is the most important meeting of all to understand your surgery and what to expect. At any time, you can cancel a procedure if you are not sure!
- Time on holiday – we strongly recommend that you stay at your destination until your wounds have completely closed – if they haven’t by the time you are due to go home, then you may need to extend your stay a few days. For this reason, we recommend that you purchase flexible air tickets that allow you to change. Our team can assist you to change your flights, and extend your accommodation; we will help you as much as possible, so please remember to book flexible air tickets.
- Rest – we do ask if you rest and recover as much as your body requires. Shopping, eating out is always so tempting, and of course you can do some when you feel better, but as much as possible, do rest and relax. We find that the less stress a patient has the better and quicker they do recover. We do have ‘get together’ lunches in Kuala Lumpur to get everyone out of their room, and this is normally stress free – we will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the restaurant and then back again to your hotel.
- Diet and hydration – it is important to eat as fresh and healthy as possible and drink lots of water (2-3 litres a day) during your recovery to keep your body hydrated.
- Swimming – GG doesn’t recommend any swimming in a public pool for the first 10-14 days after your surgery. You can go – and it is recommended – to use the sauna. You can sit in the sun, but do keep all your wounds completely out of the sun, and also if you have had facial peels, you must wear a hat and factor 50 sunscreens at all times.
- Nursing care – in the first 3 days we will have a nurse come to your room and dress your wounds. If you need additional days, the nurse will continue to attend to you, but it is not much to ensure your wounds are clean and dry every day.
- Above 70 years old? Then please do ensure that you select our Extra Care package for your stay. Also, we highly recommend that you only have 1 procedure. (Extra Care or Platinum package currently only available at our Malaysia destination).
- Supplements to take – do ensure you bring with you and start taking – Arnica supplements (available from chemists), Vitamin C (for healing and recovery). Do NOT take Vitamin E.
- Smoking – if you smoke before or after surgery, your risks of infections and complications increases. For this reason we have a strict no smoking policy and if you smoke, the GG Guarantee will be void. We really strongly recommend that you don’t smoke at any time before or after surgery.
- Antibiotics – if your wounds are taking longer than average to heal then you may ask your surgeon for more antibiotics. Ask for his advice in what to take to speed up recovery and healing.
- Returning home – we recommend that you do not book yourself with work or social commitments for at least the first week or 2 after you arrive home, so you give yourself a chance to rest and relax after your trip and your surgery. If you have had breast surgery or tummy tuck, you must not lift children, any heavy items or do strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks. Be sure to plan for this before your trip, so you are not expected to have a lot of work and family commitments.