The beautiful city of Mérida is also called as “La Ciudad Blanca” (White City). This is because of the white limestone used in buildings, and their popular white clothing called “Guayaberas”. The White City was founded on the 16th century by Francisco de Montejo aka “El Mozo” right where the Mayan city of T’ho (five hills) was located. Unfortunately, their five pyramids were destroyed, and the remainings used in the construction of new buildings. Nowadays, Mérida features an amazing historic center, the second largest in Mexico.
Mérida’s Unique Culture
Despite the strong Spanish influence in the Yucatan Peninsula, it developed a unique culture. Its Mayan identity survived along the centuries in unexpected ways. They feature a unique style of handcrafts, unique hand-made clothing and superb cuisine. People speak Spanish with a different accent than the rest of the country. Can you believe that? Mayan dialect is still spoken by one third of the population! The local indigenous culture is highly respected and that is amazing.
The White City is full of stunning buildings, nearby Mayan ruins, cenotes and flamingos:
- Plaza Mayor in downtown
- San Idelfonso Cathedral
- Mayan World Museum
- Paseo de Monteo & Casa de Montejo Museum
- Palacio Cantón (Anthropology Museum)
- Lucas de Galvez Market – Handcrafts, delicious food, and more!
- Uxmal, Kabbah and Chichen-Itzá Ruins (day-trips) – These are “do not miss” attractions
- Telchac – Watch the wild flamingos in the pink lagoo(Laguna Rosada)! (day-trip)
- Three cenotes of Cozuma (day-trip)
This is everyone’s favorit part. The unique flavor of the Yucatan cuisine:
- Cochinita Pibil – This is Yucatan’s iconic dish with tender pork in sour-orange sauce and other spices.
- Pollo Pibil – The same receipe with chicken!
- Poc-Chuc – Grilled pork marinated in sour-orange.
- Pavo Relleno Negro – Turkey with dark chili
- Sopa de Lima – A delicious soup with turkey and lime juice.
- Papadzules – Hard boiled eggs, with tortillas and pumpkin sauce.
- Huevos Motuleños – This is Yucatan’s iconic breakfast from the town of Motul. Eggs, beans, cheese, ham, peas and sauce.
- Marquesitas – Crispy crepe with the filling if your choice.
Cosmetic Surgery and Hospitals in Mérida, Mexico
In addition, Mérida counts with clean streets, safe surroundings and wonderful people. And many of the best surgeons in the world are from this city. Most hospitals feature cutting-edge technology and vanguard facilities. And a plus is that many surgeons from Mérida operate in Houston, Texas. They are fluent in several languages, high skilled, specialized and experienced in their profession. And we are glad to work with one of its most experienced cosmetic surgeons. You can read all about Dr. Ramón Navarro right here:
Requesting your Cosmetic Firmquote™
If you are planning to have your cosmetic surgery done in the next couple of months, go ahead and request your firmquote: Click Here. It will include your medical history and photos. We will forward your complete file to our Surgeons in order to obtain their feedback and a taylor-made quote for you. We also invite you to check our Standard Price List in our website or just download our App available for Android and Apple. You can also join our New Community where you can chat with any of us.
Requesting your Dental Firmquote™
If you would like to combine your cosmetic surgery with dental treatments, you just need to fill in your medical history and upload your panoramic x-rays and photos. In the next couple of days we will provide you with a taylor-made quote and the Surgeons feedback. Go ahead and Click Here
Reward Yourself with our Affiliate Program
We are very happy to offer all our members the opportunity to earn gift cards and learn about this amazing industry. Our Affiliate Program not only rewards you for referring others to Gorgeous Getaways. It also provides a long-term program to help you develop your own skills. To get started all you have to do is sign up: Click Here You do not need to be a medical travel expert, so go for it !
For any further qustions or comments, please feel free to leave us a note. Or you may contact us directly:
- Paty – Destination Manager for America & Europe – [email protected]
- Victoria – Destination Manager for Asia & Australia – [email protected]
- Melanie – Customer Care /Affiliate Program – [email protected]