You may be surprised to learn that there are key factors for minimizing scarring after surgery. With a good incision care you can achieve wonderful results. But there are also personal factors to be considered. And there are also guaranteed methods for scar prevention. It is natural that you have concerns about how hard you can scrub the incision or if there is a right soap to use. Rest assured that proper incision care is easy. You just need to follow your Surgeon’s advise to the letter.
The Natural Healing Phase
- Bleeding stops and the white blood cells fight bacterial infection. The wound is swollen and painful.
- Collagen formation begins and is produced in great quantities during the next 3-4 weeks. New blood capillaries form to aid in the healing process. (Collagen is what scars are made of and what holds wounds together).
- Cells helping to keep the wound clean may cause it to be wet and weeping. White or yellow in appearance.
- During the next 2-6 months, more collagen strengthens the wounds.
- After 6 months, scar remodeling breaks the excess collagen and changes a thick, red, raised scar into a thin, flat, white scar.
Risk Factors in Scar Formation
There are specific factors that may risk a proper scar formation, such as:
- Suture Techniques and Surgeon’s Skills – When sutures are placed deep beneath the skin’s surface, the result is lesser scarring. This takes the strain off the skin edges. The wound is to be closed ensuring that the skin’s edges are slightly kissing. It is proven that increased tension may pull the scar apart and stimulate your body to create more scar tissue. Rest assured that your Surgeon will apply his/her best skills and suture techniques to guarantee no necessary scars. And it is very important to follow to the letter all their instructions for proper scar care.
- Wear Compression Garments – When you undergo any kind of cosmetic surgery, you will need to wear a compression garment or bandages. These are intended to minimize swelling.
- Avoid Junk Food – Eating healthy and leading an active lifestyle, before and after surgery, is very important in the would healing process.
- Avoid Steroids – Systemic steroids that are commonly used to treat inflammation, pain, asthma, or allergies can significantly slow healing and thin the skin.
- Avoid Alcohol – Alcohol thins the blood, slows the healing process, and increases bruising. Stop drinking at least 1 week before surgery and as long as you are on antibiotics and pain killers.
- Avoid Smoking – Smoking reduces the natural body’s ability to heal and it is detrimental to cosmetic surgery scars. It may lead to infections and other complications.
- Avoid Excessive Movement – After Surgery, too much movement may ause fluid accumulation (swelling). It may prevent cross-linking of collagen and fibrin to hold the wound together.
- Avoid Overexposure to the Sun – Sun overexposure may cause darkening and thickening of scars for up to a year after surgery. Make sure to cover your incisions during the day.
- Genetics and Ethnicity – People with oily and thick skin tend to heal faster than those with thin and dry skin.
- Young Age – Young people generally produce more collagen. Therefore they have an increased chance of developing thicker scars, but tend to heal faster.
- Diabetes – Heightened levels of sugar in the blood impair healing. This condition should be carefully monitored if you are undergoing surgery.
Scar Management is easy. You just need to commit to follow the rules. Otherway, you will suffer the effects and in the lapse of a year, you may need a Scar Revision Surgery in order to conceal the wounds.
Requesting your Cosmetic Firmquote™
If you are planning to have your cosmetic surgery done in the next couple of months, go ahead and request your firmquote: click here. It will include your medical history and photos. We will forward your complete file to our Surgeons in order to obtain their feedback and a taylor-made quote for you. We also invite you to check our standard price list in our website or just download our App available for Android and Apple. You can also join our community where you can chat with us about the key factors for minimizing scarring.
Requesting your Dental Firmquote™
If you would like to combine your cosmetic surgerie with dental treatments, just fill in your medical history and upload your panoramic x-rays and photos. In the next couple of days we will provide you with a taylor-made quote and the Surgeons feedback. Go ahead and click here
Scheduling your Teleconsultation
Teleconsultation is one of the most powerful tools that we can use to connect you with your Surgeon abroad. You can read much more about it in my article: How to be Ready for your Teleconsultation. Once you have requested your firmquote, you will be offered a teleconsultation via zoom, meet, whatsapp or signal. Depending on your specific case, it may be complimentary or it may have a cost. It is fun and you will have the opportunity to address any concerns or doubts you may have. Go for it !
For any doubts or questions, please feel free to leave us a note, or you can write to us directly: